Constanze Schmitt was born in 1985. She studied Audiovisual Media/Cinematography at Beuth University of Berlin, followed by Cinematography studies at German Film and Television Academy Berlin. She participated in numerous films which were both nationally and internationally successful. With director Eliza Petkova she developed a long lasting colaboration. Their short film ABSENT premiered in 2015 at Cannes Film Festival in the Cinéfondation Section. Their first feature film ZHALEIKA had its premiere at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival where it was honored with a Special Mention. Their graduation film from Germann Film and Television Academy A FISH SWIMMING UPSIDE DOWN premiered at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival in 2020.
In 2017 she worked as the cinematographer on the short film A GENTLE NIGHT, directed by Qiu Yang with whom she won the Palme d'Or for the Best Short Film in Cannes 2017. Two years later their second short film SHE RUNS won the Leitz Cine Discovery Price in Cannes in 2019. She participated at the Berlinale Talents program at Berlin International Film Festival in 2020.
* Best Cinematography for "She Runs" at Festival Internacional de Cortometrajes de Aguilar de Campoo, Spain
* Best Cinematography for "She Runs" at Zubroffka Film Festival, Poland
* Best Cinematography for "A Gentle Night" at Soria International Film Festival, Spain
* Best Cinematography for "A Gentle Night" at Sulmona International Film Festival, Italy
* Best Cinematography for "A Gentle Night" at Heart of Gold International Film Festival, Australia
* Best Cinematography for "A Gentle Night" at Festival Internazionale del Varco, Italy
* Best Cinematography for "Rummel" at Festival International des Écoles de Cinéma